Frequently Asked Questions


What is the FAFSA and how do I apply?

The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the primary source of funding for students. Students can apply online and must reapply each year.

When should I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA should be submitted as soon as possible after October 1st. Students are highly encouraged to complete the FAFSA as early as possible for maximum consideration of grant aid.

What information do I need in order to complete my FAFSA?

Current FAFSA’s for school year 2018-2019 may be completed using 2016 tax returns, W-2’s, driver’s licenses and social security cards for both the student and the parent/spouse (if applicable). Students and parents will also have the option to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, where tax data will be transferred from the IRS to the FAFSA.

How much financial aid can I expect?

You can create an unofficial estimate of the aid for which you may qualify using the Net Price Calculator available on the College’s website.

When will the College determine how much aid I am eligible to receive?

Once your FAFSA is received, the financial aid office will review your application. Students may be selected for a process called Verification. During verification, the College will ask for various data used to complete your FAFSA so we can verify that the data was entered correctly. Once the verification process has been completed, the student will receive an award letter. Documentation will be sent out after May 1 each year and will continue on a weekly basis.

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid. There are several sources of funding available regardless of income.

Do I need to be admitted to the College before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1st for the next school year. Please be sure to include our Federal School Code on your application (030709). Award letters will only be sent to those students admitted.

Are my parents responsible for my educational loans?

No. Federal Stafford Loans are loans that the student takes out and is responsible for repaying. Federal PLUS loans are available for parents.

When do I have to start repaying my loans?

Your lender will contact you with repayment arrangements. Typically students are given 6 months from the last date the student was enrolled in less than 6 hours before they are required to make a payment.

I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of outside scholarships from any sources, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office. Other aid may be required to be adjusted.

Where can I get more information about Federal student financial aid?

Federal Student Aid has a website available Students can learn about how to prepare for college, different types of aid available, how to qualify and apply, and how to manage student loans. Students can also contact the financial aid office at the College or the federal student aid information center at 1-800-4-FED-AID.

Billing and Refund FAQ

What does “Anticipated Awards” on my billing statement mean?

Anticipated Awards are those that are offered to you but have not been posted to your account.

What does it mean if my Balance Due is in parentheses?

Parentheses around your balance due amount indicates a credit balance on your account and you are due a refund.

When can I expect to have my refund check?

Once a credit balance is created, a refund check will typically be available within 14 days.

How will I know when my refund check is ready to pick up?

Currently, the business office will notify you by email that your refund check is ready for pick up from the business officer. If you would like your refund check to be mailed, you will need to notify the business officer.