To apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and loans, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college or career school.

Your FAFSA information is used to determine your eligibility for state and school aid, and some private financial aid providers may use your FAFSA information to determine whether you qualify for their aid.


To be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid you need to:

  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-citizen (*see below).
  • Be registered for Selective Service (male students, ages 18-25)
  • Have a High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) High School Equivalency Diploma.
  • Be working towards a degree or certificate.
  • Not be in default on any federal educational loans or owe a refund on a federal grant.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Not have been convicted of a drug offense while receiving financial aid.

*You are considered a citizen or eligible non-citizen if you fit into one of the following categories:

  • You are a U.S. Citizen.
  • You are a U.S. National (includes natives of America, Samoa, or Swain's Island).
  • You are a U.S. Permanent resident with an Alien Registration Receipt Card
  • (I-151,I-551, or I-551C).
  • You are not a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, but have an I-94 or I-94A with one of the following designations: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Indefinite Parole, Humanitarian Parole, Cuban-Haitian entrant, status pending, Conditional entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

What You Will Need to Apply

The information below will help with completing your FAFSA application.

Create an FSA ID

Creating an FSA ID allows you to sign your FAFSA form electronically. A paper signature page must be downloaded, signed and mailed for students or parents who don’t have a FSA-ID. NOTE: If you’re a dependent student, one of your parents whose information is reported on the FAFSA form will also need an FSA ID so that he or she can sign your application electronically

Gather Information

  • Social Security Number
  • Alien Registration Number
  • Federal Tax Information or Tax Returns
  • Records of Untaxed Income
  • Cash, Savings, and Checking Account Balances
  • Investments

School Code

The FAFSA should be submitted using our School Code of 030709 as soon after October 1st as possible for the Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility for the various financial aid programs.

    Review Your Student Aid Report (SAR)

    The SAR is a summary of the FAFSA data you submitted. You (the student) will get your SAR within three days to three weeks after you submit your FAFSA form. Look over your SAR carefully, make sure you didn’t make a mistake on your FAFSA form, and make corrections to your FAFSA data if necessary. 

    If a financial aid application has been filed, but Southeast Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences was not listed as a school choice, the student will need to update their FAFSA to include Southeast Missouri Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences Federal School Code: 030709.

    When a correct SAR is received, it should be retained by the student. Southeast Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences Financial Aid Office receives SAR information electronically, so it is not necessary for a paper SAR to be submitted to the Financial Aid Office. If students need assistance with making FAFSA changes, the financial aid office can help.


    What is Verification?

    Often, FAFSA records are selected to be verified by the Department of Education and the College. This process requires that the College collect various tax documents to verify data submitted on the FAFSA. A financial aid record is not considered complete and eligible for aid disbursement until verification has been completed. Because the College participates in Federal Student Aid programs, by law we are required to verify designated files.

    Why was I selected?

    Most files are chosen by the Central Processing System (CPS) at the Department of Education. Although most files are chosen at random, some files may be chosen based on areas commonly completed with mistakes. Just remember we are here to help--most errors found result in additional aid eligibility for the student.

    Selecting Students

    The College will request verification information from all students who are selected for verification. Required verification items often consist of:

    1. Household size as defined by the Federal Department of Education.
    2. Number in college
    3. Adjusted gross income as supplied by the IRS
    4. U.S. taxes paid
    5. Certain types of untaxed income and benefits (examples not all inclusive: Child Care, IRA/Keogh deductions, Interest on tax-free bonds)
    6. All other untaxed income included on the U.S. income tax return (excluding schedules).

    The College is also required to verify any application information that appears to be incorrect or contains discrepancies.


    Students who are selected for verification will be notified through their school e-mail address. Please be sure to provide all requested documentation in a timely manner. Remember, financial aid cannot be awarded until this process has been completed.


    Students must complete all required paperwork at least two weeks prior to the end of each semester to be eligible to receive aid for that semester. Paperwork submitted after this deadline will be processed at the discretion of the College.

    Award Notification

    Once your FAFSA results and all requested information has been received and processed, you will be notified via email that you have an Award Letter. The Award Letter will reflect all federal and state offers of aid including scholarship, need based grants, and loans. The Award Letter provides a summary of your financial aid. All or part of the award offered can be accepted. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you need assistance.

    The Award Letter will contain the Cost of Attendance, Expected Family Contribution, as well as information on the awards you have been offered and/or are receiving. Students will need to follow the instructions contained in the Award Letter to accept their aid.

    To view your Financial Aid Award letter after you have received your email stating it is ready for you to view, follow these steps:

    1. Access SONIS
    2. Log on using your User ID and Password;
    3. Click on “Financial” on the left side in the blue column to open drop downs “Semester Billing” and “Ledger”
    4. Click on Semester Billing
    5. Scroll to the bottom of the Semester Billing webpage to find the Award Letter Button
    6. Click on the Award Letter button
    7. Carefully Read Award Letter
    8. Print copy of Award Letter
    9. Sign and submit signed Award Letter to Financial Aid Office

    If you are accepting a Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan and are a first time borrower, you must have a Direct Loan Master Promissory note (MPN) on file and complete Entrance Loan Counseling before any financial aid is able to be disbursed. You will need to use your Department of Education FSA-ID for both the MPN and Entrance Loan Counseling.

    Renew FAFSA

    You must submit a FAFSA form for each school year in which you want to be considered for federal student aid. When you log in to renew your FAFSA form, it’s prefilled with certain information from the prior academic year. You’ll need to provide new income and tax information and update any information that may have changed.

    Renew FAFSA


    What is the FAFSA and how do I apply?

    The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the primary source of funding for students. Students can apply online and must reapply each year.

    When should I complete the FAFSA?

    The FAFSA should be submitted as soon as possible after October 1st. Students are highly encouraged to complete the FAFSA as early as possible for maximum consideration of grant aid.

    What information do I need in order to complete my FAFSA?

    Current FAFSA’s for school year 2018-2019 may be completed using 2016 tax returns, W-2’s, driver’s licenses and social security cards for both the student and the parent/spouse (if applicable). Students and parents will also have the option to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, where tax data will be transferred from the IRS to the FAFSA.

    How much financial aid can I expect?

    You can create an unofficial estimate of the aid for which you may qualify using the Net Price Calculator available on the College’s website.

    When will the College determine how much aid I am eligible to receive?

    Once your FAFSA is received, the financial aid office will review your application. Students may be selected for a process called Verification. During verification, the College will ask for various data used to complete your FAFSA so we can verify that the data was entered correctly. Once the verification process has been completed, the student will receive an award letter. Documentation will be sent out after May 1 each year and will continue on a weekly basis.

    I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

    Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid. There are several sources of funding available regardless of income.

    Do I need to be admitted to the College before I can apply for financial aid?

    No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1st for the next school year. Please be sure to include our Federal School Code on your application (030709). Award letters will only be sent to those students admitted.

    Are my parents responsible for my educational loans?

    No. Federal Stafford Loans are loans that the student takes out and is responsible for repaying. Federal PLUS loans are available for parents.

    When do I have to start repaying my loans?

    Your lender will contact you with repayment arrangements. Typically students are given 6 months from the last date the student was enrolled in less than 6 hours before they are required to make a payment.

    I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

    Yes. If you are receiving any kind of outside scholarships from any sources, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office. Other aid may be required to be adjusted.

    Where can I get more information about Federal student financial aid?

    Federal Student Aid has a website available https://studentaid.ed.gov/. Students can learn about how to prepare for college, different types of aid available, how to qualify and apply, and how to manage student loans. Students can also contact the financial aid office at the College or the federal student aid information center at 1-800-4-FED-AID.