Financial Aid

You must apply for financial aid, including scholarships, each academic year.  Use your 2015 tax information to apply for financial aid for Summer 2017 through Spring 2018 now at the FAFSA link below.

The school code to use when completing the FAFSA is 030709.

For financial aid assistance please contact

Casandra Hicks
Director of Financial Services
573-334-6825 ext. 2209

Janet Jackson
Student Services Coordinator
573-334-6825 ext 2203


Submit a FREE Application for Federal Student Aid

Please use the IRS Data Retrieval (IDR) Tool to pull your information from the IRS. This enables FAFSA to retrieve tax data directly from the IRS allowing you to automatically have your family's income information transferred into your FAFSA.

Entrance and Exit Counseling for Loans

Before any loans can be disbursed, students receiving loans must complete Entrance Counseling and complete Loan Agreement.  These items are available at

Entrance Counseling

Loan Agreement for a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN)

Students who are in their final semester before graduation, who withdraw, or who do not make Satisfactory Academic Progress must complete Exit Counseling on the same website.

Exit Counseling

Types of Aid Available

Federal Pell Grants

This is the largest federal aid program. It is a direct grant funded and administered by the federal government. The Pell Grant is determined by a student's aid index, the cost of education and the number of hours enrolled. Students may apply by completing the Free Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This information can be obtained from the College Financial Aid Coordinator. No repayment is required.

The Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan

The Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan is based on financial need which is determined by using a federal formula. A loan is subsidized when the government pays the interest for you during the following periods:

  • while you are enrolled in school at least part-time;
  • during the six month grace period after you stop attending school at least part-time; and
  • during periods of authorized deferment.
The Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan

The Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not based on financial need and is available to all students regardless of income. Because this loan is not subsidized by the government, the student is responsible for all interest which accrues while in school and during grace and deferment periods. You may choose to make interest payments while in school or you may defer (and accumulate) the interest until repayment.

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Federal PLUS loans are available to parents of eligible students. These loans are made to parents of dependent students. This loan must be repaid. This loan is based on how much of the student's cost of attendance will be met by other financial aid sources. Parents may apply for loan deferment until after the student's studies are completed. The information and website for parents to complete a PLUS Loan application and Master Promissory Note can be found at

Missouri Nurse Loan Program

This loan is available through the Missouri Department of Health. Individuals may receive up to $5,000 if determined eligible. Information regarding eligibility and the application process may be obtained at the website:

Privately Funded Scholarships

Scholarships are available through the SoutheastHEALTH Auxiliary and Foundation. For information go to the SoutheastHEALTH Scholarship website.

Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE)

Missouri provides a variety of financial assistance programs to help students and their families pay for college. At the direction of the   for Higher Education, The Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) carries out the goals and administrative responsibilities for the state system of higher education. The MDHE has several programs they administer to students who are Missouri residents. Please go to the following website to find out if you are eligible for any grants or scholarships through the State of Missouri:

  • Access Missouri Financial Assistance Program

    This state need-based program is awarded to undergraduate students who are Missouri residents.  Students must be full time with high need.  The award amount varies depending on your calculated need from the FAFSA.

  • Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial Scholarship

    To be eligible for this program, the student must be enrolled part-time (6-11 credit hours), be employed and compensated for at least twenty (20) or more hours per week, and be making satisfactory academic progress as defined by the institution. Information and employment verification forms may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.

  • Missouri Higher Education Academic Scholarship Program (Bright Flight)

    This program awards an annual amount to encourage top ranking high school graduates to attend a Missouri post-secondary institution. This aid does not have to be repaid. Students, who are residents of Missouri and are eligible as renewal students, must be enrolled full-time at the College and maintain satisfactory academic progress according to the Southeast Missouri Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences standards.

Veterans Program

Various benefit programs for U.S. Armed Forces veterans are available if the veteran meets the program requirements and has remaining eligibility for the program.  Veterans are required to turn in their Letter of Eligibility from the VA to the Financial Aid Office.

Other Financial Aid Programs

Other financial aid programs are available for students who meet individual program requirements, among which are DESE, WIA programs, Upward Mobility and others.  Students who qualify for assistance from the other State programs may be referred to the Financial Aid Office for additional assistance of Title IV aid and other tasks, re: enrollment hours, award letters, billing of vouchers for their credit hours, etc.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

Southeast Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences review the academic progress of students who apply for and/or receive financial assistance as required by federal regulations. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) comprises three areas: minimum GPA, minimum pace of progression through an educational program, and maximum time frame for completion of an educational program.

SAP standards apply to students who wish to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility for Federal Title IV Federal Student Aid programs (including Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct/PLUS Loan, Federal Stafford Loan and other federal programs) and certain state and private programs. (Note: Not all financial aid programs require students to meet the SAP standards outlined in this policy; for example, many private scholarships have other eligibility requirements, and the student must contact the scholarship program to determine the specific eligibility requirements.) 

Financial Assistance Programs Affected

 Federal Programs State Programs
 Pell Grant Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial Scholarship 
 Direct Loan Access Missouri Financial Aid Assistance 
 Stafford Loan  
 Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)  
 Federal Work Study  

SAP Evaluation and Standards

The Registrar’s records are reviewed at the completion of every semester of enrollment (summer, fall, and spring) to determine compliance with the SAP standards. When determining whether a student is meeting SAP standards, all periods of enrollment will be considered, including those in which the student did not receive financial aid.

There are three components to the SAP policy:

  1. Minimum GPA. Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to remain eligible for financial aid under this policy. The following will be included in the GPA calculation: transfer credit accepted towards a student’s degree program; remedial courses; early credit hours taken in high school; and, for repeated courses, the newest grade (the old grade(s) will be excluded). Incompletes and courses from which students have withdrawn after the add/drop date, including excused withdrawals, will not be included in the GPA calculation.
  2. Minimum Pace-of-Progression. Students must complete coursework at a cumulative rate of 66.67%. Completed coursework is defined as any course for which the student receives a passing grade.

    Use the formula below to determine the pace of progression. The minimum pace requirement is 66.67%.

    Completed Semester Hours (all passing grades): All credit hours with a passing grade on students’ academic records according to the Office of the Registrar (A, B, C, D), including all transfer hours accepted toward current program, remedial, credit by examination hours, early credit hours taken in high school, and repeated courses. ÷ Attempted Semester Hours: All completed semester hours (as defined at left), plus all credit hours with a non-passing grade on students’ academic records according to the Office of the Registrar, excluding transfer hours not accepted towards current program but including remedial, credit by examination hours, early credit hours taken in high school, courses with a grade of F (fail) or U (unsatisfactory), incompletes, courses from which a student has withdrawn after the add/drop date (including excused withdrawals), and repeated courses.

    Pace of Progression Examples

    Example 1:

    First-year Freshman

    Fall Semester

    Spring Semester

    Cumulative Total

    Hours Completed




    Hours Attempted




    Pace of Progression




    Financial Aid Status after Semester


    Met SAP

    Eligible for Aid

    Example 2:

    First-year Freshman

    Fall Semester

    Spring Semester

    Cumulative Total

    Hours Completed




    Hours Attempted




    Pace of Progression


    66.67% *


    Financial Aid Status after Semester



    Not Eligible (Needed 66.67%)

    Example 3:

    Continuing Student†

    Fall Semester

    Cumulative Total

    Hours Completed



    Hours Attempted



    Pace of Progression

    25% ‡


    Financial Aid Status after Semester

    Met SAP

    Eligible for Aid

    Spring Semester

    Cumulative Total

    Hours Completed



    Hours Attempted



    Pace of Progression

    50% ‡


    Financial Aid Status after Semester

    Met SAP

    Eligible for Aid

    Summer Semester

    Cumulative Total

    Hours Completed



    Hours Attempted



    Pace of Progression



    Financial Aid Status after Semester


    Remains Eligible (Needed 66.67%)

    Fall Semester

    Cumulative Total

    Hours Completed



    Hours Attempted



    Pace of Progression



    Financial Aid Status after Semester


    Not Eligible (Needed 66.67%)

    † Student already completed 47 credit hours and attempted 60 credit hours going into Fall semester: 78% pace of progression.

    ‡ Student did not meet 66.77% for the semester, but maintained the cumulative 67% pace required for financial aid.

  3. Maximum Time Frame To remain eligible for aid, financial aid recipients must complete their educational programs within a time frame no longer than 150% of the published length of their educational programs as measured in attempted credit hours. When students have attempted 125% of their education programs, a letter is mailed to the students and a message is posted to the students’ accounts as notification that they are approaching the maximum time frame. Additionally, Federal guidance states that students are ineligible when it becomes mathematically impossible to complete their programs within 150% of the published program length.

    Credits counted in the maximum time are all attempted credits (even when not a financial aid recipient). Attempted credits include:

    • Earned credits – Passed (A through D), Satisfactory (S)
    • Repeated courses – all attempts
    • Withdrawal after the add/drop period (including excused withdrawals)
    • Failures – Failed (F), Unsatisfactory (U)
    • Incompletes
    • All transfer credits accepted toward the degree program
    • Pass/Fail

Financial Aid Warning

Students are automatically placed on Financial Aid Warning for one semester if they do not meet Minimum GPA and/or Minimum Pace of Progression standards. A letter is mailed to the students and a message is posted to students’ SONIS accounts as notification of being placed on Financial Aid Warning. Students may continue to receive aid during the semester of Financial Aid Warning.

Students who fail to meet SAP standards during their period of Financial Aid Warning will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

Financial Aid Suspension

Students are placed on Financial Aid Suspension for one of the following reasons:

  1. Do not meet the SAP requirements after one semester on Financial Aid Warning.
  2. Do not meet the requirements of their Academic Plan.
  3. Meet or exceed the Maximum Time Frame requirement to obtain a degree.
  4. Withdrawal from ALL semester credit hours while on financial aid warning.
  5. Withdrawal from ALL semester credit hours in back-to-back semesters.
  6. Receive a non-passing grade or incomplete in ALL semester credit hours.

Students are not eligible for financial aid while on Financial Aid Suspension. A letter is mailed to the student and a message is posted to the student's SONIS account as notification of being placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

Regaining Financial Aid Eligibility

To regain financial aid eligibility when on Financial Aid suspension students may:

  1. Meet minimum SAP requirements while not receiving financial aid, or
  2. Submit an appeal with an Academic Plan for consideration and receive approval.

SAP Appeal, Financial Aid Probation, and Academic Plan

Students on Financial Aid Suspension may make a written appeal for reinstatement of eligibility if extenuating circumstances have contributed to their inability to meet SAP requirements. Extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Death of an immediate family member
  • Severe injury or illness of the student or an immediate family member
  • Emergency situations such as fire or flood
  • Legal separation from spouse or divorce
  • Military reassignment or required job transfers or shift changes
  • Other extraordinary circumstances

Students who do not meet the above criteria must reestablish eligibility by completing courses without federal aid in one or more semesters until SAP standards are met.

A student who meets the above criteria may appeal by submitting to the Financial Aid Coordinator (1) a written appeal explaining the circumstances with appropriate documentation that the student wishes to be reviewed in consideration of the appeal and (2) an Academic Plan for consideration. The deadline to submit an appeal for consideration of reinstatement of aid eligibility for a semester is the midterm of that semester.

The completed written appeal and supporting documentation will be reviewed within three to five business days. Students who appeal will be notified by College email of the outcome of the appeal. Students whose appeals are granted will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for a period of one semester and be eligible for aid for one semester, after which they must meet SAP standards or be meeting the conditions of their Academic Plan.

As a condition of Financial Aid Probation, students will be placed on an Academic Plan. The maximum length of an Academic Plan cannot exceed one calendar year (e.g., fall/spring/summer, spring/summer/fall, summer/fall/spring) to meet SAP GPA, pace of progression, and/or maximum time frame requirements. Academic Plans will require students to achieve a GPA of 2.00 or higher and to meet a 66.67% pace of progression during the period of the Academic Plan.

The Academic Plan is reviewed after one semester of Financial Aid Probation to determine continuation of financial aid eligibility. Following a semester of Financial Aid Probation, students who meet SAP standards will regain financial aid eligibility. Students meeting the terms of their Academic Plans but not SAP standards may continue on Financial Aid Probation under the Academic Plan for a second semester; those students will be evaluated again at the end of that second semester and will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension if they do not meet SAP standards at that time. Students failing both SAP standards and the terms of their Academic Plans at the end of one semester of Financial Aid Probation will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension OR will no longer be eligible for aid.

Students seeking an additional undergraduate degree after graduating

Financial Aid eligibility for students seeking an additional undergraduate degree is limited to Federal Direct Stafford student loan eligibility for up to 90 credit hours attempted for the additional degree, or 270 total undergraduate credit hours attempted at all institutions, whichever limit is met first.

Return of Title IV Funds

The return of Title IV funds is still processed only for students who have totally withdrawn, officially or unofficially, at the end or during the payment period/period of enrollment.  Students who have received federal financial aid funds are required to earn these funds by attending classes through at least 60% of the period enrollment.

This policy, established by the U.S. Department of Education, through the Higher Education Act of 1995, affects students who have received assistance through the following federal financial aid programs:  Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and/or Pell Grant.

The following are two examples of 60% points in a term or semester.  These two examples are based upon enrollment in regular 16-week courses.  Dates will vary for 8-week courses and students who began the enrollment with pre-session courses.

The withdrawal date used by this institution is the last date of academic attendance or the date the student informed the institution he/she was withdrawing.  The Title IV aid that will be returned or refunded is the amount of aid already credited to the student’s account and/or given to the student prior to any knowledge of the student’s withdrawal or the amount that could have been dispersed based on the student’s eligibility at the time of withdrawal.  If you are not attending classes, you are required to complete the official withdrawal process of the College.  The percentage of aid the student has earned (Earned Aid) is based solely on the length of time he or she has attended.  If the percentage completed is 60.01% or more, we go with 100%.  The student will have earned all of the dispersible aid.  The student has only earned Title IV aid equal to the percentage of time attended.  The “unearned aid” must be returned.  The order of return of funds by the College is as follows:

Loans: Unsubsidized FFEL Stafford Loan, Subsidized FFEL Stafford Loan, PLUS Loan
Grants: Pell

The initial amount of unearned Title IV aid is due from the student is the: Total unearned Title IV aid minus the Title IV aid the school returns.  The order of the Title IV aid from the student is identical to the order of return for the school.  If a refund of federal financial aid is required, the College will make a refund on the student’s behalf to the Federal Government.  In turn, the College will charge the student for the amount repaid.  Failure to repay the College for the amount of this refund will result in collection action.

Financial Aid Student Attendance Policy

Students are expected to attend all classes for which they registered, beginning with and including the first class session. Not only must a student be registered for a class, students must be in active attendance to count as “enrolled” for aid eligibility purposes.

Students must have attendance verified in their classes in order to meet the eligibility requirements for the federal student aid programs. The Department of Education requires schools to document student attendance prior to the disbursement of any federal aid funds. Until attendance is verified for a student, no federal financial aid will be disbursed.

The College requires that faculty verify attendance weekly for each course taught. If a student fails to attend a course during the first two weeks of classes, faculty must notify the Financial Aid Office as well as the student's program director or dean of the non-attendance. . Students who fail to attend classes by the end of the 2nd week of the semester are not eligible for aid and will be treated as withdrawn. If a student only begins attendance in some classes, but less than a full time class schedule, aid must be adjusted to reflect less than full time attendance.

Academically related activities to be in attendance include but are not limited to:

  • physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
  • submitting an academic assignment;
  • taking an exam, an interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instruction;
  • attending a study group that is assigned by the school;
  • participating in an online discussion about academic matters; or
  • initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.

Once attendance has been verified, financial aid for which the student is eligible may be disbursed per the standard aid disbursement schedule.

  • For Federal Pell Grant recipients, the student’s Pell award amount will be based on the courses for which he/she is registered AND in attendance. The grant is disbursed based on the number of credits for which attendance has been confirmed. The student will not be eligible for these grants for courses which the student does not attend. The student must be IN ATTENDANCE for at least 12 credit hours of classes to be considered eligible for full time Pell.
  • For Federal Direct Stafford Loan recipients, the student must be enrolled as half-time or more for the student’s loan to disburse. The student also must have attendance verified.
  • At the end of the semester, if a student did not successfully earn a passing grade for at least 12 credits of classes, financial aid staff must verify with faculty that the failing grade(s) were due to insufficient progress and not simply due to failure to ever attend. If failing grade(s) were due to failure to ever attend, aid will be adjusted to reflect less than full time enrollment.

If confirmation of full time attendance cannot be established during the first two weeks of the semester, federal financial aid eligibility will be re-evaluated for that semester and may result in financial aid forfeiture and/or a balance due to the College. In addition, the following are circumstances in which a student’s Title IV aid will be adjusted/prorated:

  • Withdrawal from, or nonattendance of, classes during the first week may affect the awarding of Title IV aid. Students should be aware that their financial aid is based on the number of credits registered for at the end of the first week of classes. Financial aid will be adjusted accordingly.
  • Federal regulations require schools to prorate Title IV aid for students who stop attending all classes after the first day of classes, up until the 60% point of the semester, based on number of days attended relative to number of days in the semester. This recalculation is based on the last date of attendance during the semester regardless of whether the student withdrew officially or simply stopped attending classes.
  • The federal regulations (34 CFR 668.21) mandate that colleges, that participate in the federal financial aid programs, have procedures in place to determine if a financial aid recipient has begun to attend classes BEFORE any financial aid is credited to a student’s account and a refund issued.
  • The number of credit hours for which a student is paid financial aid, state and federal, will be based on the number of credit hours that the student is enrolled at the time of the first Friday of each semester, assuming the student is in actual attendance for those enrolled classes. If a student’s attendance in class is not verified, the student’s financial aid will either be withdrawn or adjusted to pay for only those classes that student’s attendance has been verified.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions concerning the Student Attendance Policy for Financial Aid

Note: Students cannot be awarded federal financial aid for classes that do not count toward their degree or certificate program requirements. If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward a degree/certificate, those courses cannot be used to determine enrollment status and aid eligibility. All registered courses must apply to the student’s program as a general education requirement or program requirement.

Verification Policy

The U.S. Department of Education mandates schools use the verification process to check the accuracy and completeness of data provided on the selected applicant’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to ensure that federal student financial aid is disbursed equitably and according to federal law and program regulation. The U.S. Department of Education or the school selects applications for verification.

Southeast Missouri Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences Financial Aid Staff completes the verification process.  A staff member communicates and works directly with the student to complete the verification process.

Financial aid staff members email students activities and information about required verification documents, including a verification form to be completed and returned by students. In addition, a text message notification directing students to check their College email for verification information is also provided if students have agreed to receive text messages by indicating so in their SONIS biographical information setup. Students should check their email often during the verification process for information about outstanding items. Students will be notified once the verification process is complete. 

Students are responsible for providing requested information so that the verification process can be completed by the school’s published deadline. The school is unable to disburse federal student financial aid until the verification process is complete. Failure to complete the verification process may result in a student not being eligible for federal aid and will need other means to pay for classes. Failure to pay for classes by published deadlines may result in the student being dropped from registered classes.

Verification may include (but is not limited to) a review of the following information for a selected student, the student’s spouse, or parents of a dependent student:

  • Adjusted Gross Income
  • Taxes Paid
  • Income Earned from Work
  • Untaxed Income and Benefits
  • Household Size
  • Number in College
  • Receipt of SNAP (food stamps) Benefit
  • Child Support Paid and Received
  • Citizenship or Eligible Non-Citizenship Status, Veteran Status, and Social Security Number
  • In addition, the verification process is used to resolve inconsistent or conflicting information.

Important Note: If an applicant uses the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer federal income tax return data to the FAFSA without changing the transferred data, the applicant is generally not required to verify that information.

In most instances, financial aid staff electronically submits to the Central Processor (CPS) corrections to the FAFSA data resulting from verification. Occasionally the student will be asked to correct the FAFSA data by going to the FAFSA on the Web website ( If changes made to the FAFSA impact the student’s Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), the new Student Aid Report sent by the CPS as a result of those changes will reflect the new EFC.

The school is responsible for checking all other eligibility criteria before packaging financial aid for the student. The school is also responsible for notifying the student of any changes made to an existing financial aid award package as a result of verification.

The school is required to notify the U.S. Office of Inspector General if they suspect that a student, employee, or other individual has misreported information or altered documentation submitted in order for a student to fraudulently obtain federal funds

Award Policy

Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority Awarding* occurs if you complete your financial aid file by February 1st for the upcoming summer semester. If you complete your FAFSA and it is selected for a process called verification, you must also submit all required documents by February 1st to remain eligible for Priority Awarding.

All financial aid awards are offered based on full time enrollment (12 or more credits). Part time students (6-11 credit hours) receive a prorated, reduced portion of the full time award amount, if eligible. The Federal Pell Grant* and most other programs consider six to eight credits to be half time (about 50 percent of an award) and 9 to 11 credits as three quarter time (about 75 percent of an award). If you are attending less than half time (taking five or fewer credits in a semester), you may not qualify to receive the financial aid awarded to you. Depending on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA, you could possibly receive Federal Pell Grant funding if you are taking less than six credits but generally would not qualify to receive any other form of aid.

If you have borrowed a Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan*, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours per semester. Loan amounts do not change based on the number of credits you are taking, as long as you maintain the six credit minimum.

You must be a Missouri resident to receive Missouri-specific funding such as the Access Missouri Financial Assistance Program* or the Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial Scholarship*.

If you have earned a bachelor's degree, federal regulations dictate that you may only qualify to borrow Federal Direct Loans. 

Keep in mind that turnaround times for you to be awarded may depend upon several factors:

  1. date we receive your FAFSA,
  2. date we receive supplemental documents,
  3. the term for which financial aid is requested, and
  4. time of year.

If your FAFSA is selected for verification* by the U.S. Department of Education, you will not be awarded financial aid until you submit the required documentation and it is processed by our office. If this is the case, the Financial Aid Office will send an email informing you of the additional requirements.

Once your financial aid file is complete, the awarding process begins. Verification can delay an award, so it is important for you to plan to complete your financial aid documentation as early as possible. All requested documents must be received at least two weeks before the end of the semester for you to receive financial aid for that semester. If an award has not been offered before the tuition payment deadline for the semester, you are responsible for making tuition payment arrangements through the Business Officer and making a payment. Be sure to check your student email frequently to ensure there are no additional financial aid requirements.

Southeast Missouri Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences reserves the right to review, change and cancel awards at any time. All financial aid awards depend on the availability of funds.

All loans are required to be disbursed (paid to the student) in at least two payments. For first-time borrowers, the U.S. Department of Education requires a 30-day hold on the disbursement, beginning the first day of the semester. Disbursements are usually made in July, September, and February.


Access Missouri Financial Assistance Program is a need-based program.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. 

Federal Pell Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree.

IRS Data Retrieval (IDR) is a process that enables FAFSA to retrieve tax data directly from the IRS allowing you to automatically have your family’s income information transferred into your FAFSA.

Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial Scholarship is a need-based scholarship established for students who are employed while attending school part-time.

Priority Awarding means that if you complete your financial aid file by February 1st for the upcoming summer semester, you are guaranteed consideration for all forms of funding available based on your eligibility and EFC.

Student Loans must be repaid with interest when you are no longer enrolled in at least six credits. Federal Direct Loans are borrowed to help pay for tuition, fees or educationally related expenses while you attend school. You are not required to borrow any offered loans. If you are offered a loan, you may accept, decline or reduce the amount to be borrowed. You must be enrolled in at least six credits to qualify to borrow student loans. You are required to begin repaying your student loans six months after you are no longer enrolled at least half time.

Verification is a process in which the U.S. Department of Education selects a financial aid applicant's FAFSA to be audited. This may entail a review of federal income tax return transcripts from the IRS, a verification worksheet and other documentation.  We will email your college student email account to notify you if you are selected for verification. A text message will also be sent if you have set up your SONIS biographical profile to include text message acceptance. Once verification documents are received and processed by the Financial Aid Office, we may be required to make corrections to your FAFSA, which generally take one week to be confirmed by the Department of Education.

Loan Repayment

Loans must be repaid. Students who leave the College must work with their loan servicer to choose a repayment plan. Information about various repayment plans can be found below.

Standard Plan

Extended Plan

Graduated Plan

Income-Driven Plans

Income-Sensitive Plan

Individuals who do not repay student loans after leaving the College will default on those loans.  Defaulting on a loan may cause an individual to lose eligibility for future student aid, affect your ability to buy a car or house, and may cause tax refunds to be withheld.  Information about defaulting on loans may be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

Understanding Default

Avoiding Default

Getting Out of Default


All documents are currently in the process of being updated.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about Eligibility and Applying

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans that are available regardless of need. There is no charge to complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Do I need to be admitted to the College before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1st for the next school year. Example: Complete a FAFSA for 2017-2018 school year after October 1st, 2016 using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to retrieve your 2015 Tax Returns from the IRS. Using your 2015 Tax Returns is referred to as “prior, prior year” tax returns. However, you must be admitted and enrolled in classes to receive funds.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Our financial aid office requires you apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid. After your first year, you will receive a "Renewal Application" from the Department of Education, which contains preprinted information from the previous year's FAFSA. Review your information and update it as necessary. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college. Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on your making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other types of need-based aid?

Submit a FAFSA. To indicate interest in, student loans and parent loans, you should check the appropriate boxes. Checking these boxes does not commit you to accepting these types of aid. You will have the opportunity to accept or decline each part of your aid package later. Leaving these boxes unchecked will not increase the number of grants you receive.

Are my parents responsible for my educational loans?

No. However, parents are responsible for repayment of the Federal PLUS loans. In general you and you alone are responsible for repaying your educational loans.  If your parents (or grandparents) want to help pay off your loan, you can have your billing statements sent to their address.

If I take a leave of absence, do I have to start repaying my loans?

Not immediately. The subsidized Stafford loan has a grace period of 6 months before the student must begin repaying the loan.

I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of outside scholarships from any sources, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office. The College may have to adjust your financial aid package to compensate; i.e., an outside scholarship may have to replace loans instead of grants if it goes above or beyond the Cost of Attendance budget.

(Cost of Attendance = A figure provided by the college financial offices that estimates the total costs of attending school for a period of one year. Included in the estimate are all reasonable expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation)

Where can I get information about Federal student financial aid?

Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-800-730-8913 (if hearing impaired) and ask for a free copy of The Student Guide: Financial Aid from the US Department of Education. This toll free hotline is run by the US Department of Education and can answer questions about federal and state student aid programs and applications. You can also write to Federal Student Aid Information Center, PO Box 84, Washington DC 20044

Financial Aid Information at Southeast Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Margie Schwent/Financial Aid Coordinator, 573-334-6825 Ext. 2224, Email:
Janet Jackson/Student Services Coordinator, 573-334-6825 Ext 2203, Email:

Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) Questions

Where can I get a copy of the FAFSA?

The online version of the FAFSA is available at You can also download a hard copy of the FAFSA Worksheet at this site.

Are photocopies of the FAFSA acceptable?

No. Only the original or on-line FAFSA form produced by the US Department of Education is acceptable.

How soon after October 1 should the FAFSA form be submitted?

The FAFSA should be submitted as soon as possible after October 1st. Current FAFSAs for school year 2017-2018 may be completed using 2015 tax returns (referred to as “Prior-Prior” year). By electing to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, data will be transferred from the 2015 tax returns you submitted to the IRS and will prefill some answers to questions on the FAFSA you are completing.

Is it better to wait until the income tax forms have been completed?

Although it is better to do your taxes early, it is ok to use estimates of your income, as long as they are not very far off from the actual values. You will have an opportunity to correct any errors later. If you wait too long, you could miss the deadline for applications for state aid. To be eligible for Missouri STATE grants, you need to have your FAFSA submitted prior to February 1st.

I sent in my FAFSA over four weeks ago but haven't heard anything. What should I do?

Contact the Financial Aid Department to inquire if your FAFSA report has been received. In addition, you may contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (toll free) or 1-319-337-5665. You must provide them with your Social Security number and date of birth as verification.

You can also write to the address below to inquire if your FAFSA has been processed or to request a duplicate copy of your SAR (Student Aid Record): Federal Student Aid Programs, PO Box 4038, Washington DC 52243-4038

I was born on January 1. When I will be 24 years old, can I check Yes in the answer to the FAFSA question "Were you born before January 1, to qualify as an independent student?

The official answer is NO. If you check yes, your SAR will be flagged for verification. You have the option of completing the Dependency Override Request form to have your status changed from dependent to independent. The form can be found on the College’s website.

What do these acronyms on the Student Aid Report (SAR) mean?

EFC: Expected Family Contribution – The amount of household income the Department Education believes the student/family can contribute to the student’s education based on household size and income submitted on the FAFSA.

AGI: Adjusted Gross Income - Total Household Income taken from IRS Tax Returns

* (Asterisk): If an asterisk appears next to the EFC figure, the student has been randomly selected for a process called verification. The student may be asked to bring in certain documents to the Financial Aid Office to assist in the verification process.

Home Schooling and Financial Aid

Are there any programs that provide student financial assistance to homeschooled students?

Homeschooled students are eligible for federal student aid for college. They are required to have "completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under State law" (Section 484(d)(3) of the Higher Education Act of 1965).For additional information, see Federal Requirements for Homeschoolers Seeking College Admission and Financial Aid, Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), May 2003.

Many private scholarships are open to homeschooled students. Some scholarships, however, require a high school diploma or GED. If a scholarship requires a high school diploma or GED, ask for a clarification or exception before applying.

Receiving Financial Aid

When will the College determine how much aid I am eligible to receive?

Once you have completed the FAFSA and your report has been received by the Financial Aid Department, it will be reviewed.  The Financial Aid Office could estimate your aid based on full-time enrollment. The aid will be adjusted if enrollment is less than full-time.  The timeframe is estimated to be 1 to 2 weeks.

When can I expect my Award Letter telling me what aid I am being offered?

If you have submitted a FAFSA and requested the information be sent to the College, an estimated Award Letter, stating what aid is being offered, will be sent with your Acceptance Letter. After you are enrolled in classes, you should be able to access your official Award Letter in Sonis (the College’s Student Database).

Billing and Refunds

What does “Anticipated Awards” on my billing statement mean?

Anticipated Awards that are offered to you but have not been posted to your account.

What does it mean if my Balance Due is in parentheses?

If parentheses are around your balance due amount it means you have a credit on your account and are due a refund.

When can I expect to have my refund check?

The business office has 14 days to process the refund once it appears on your SONIS billing statement.

How will I know when my refund check is ready to pick up?

The business office will notify you by email that your refund check is ready for pick up from the business officer.

Can my refund check be mailed?

Yes. You will need to inform the business officer that you would like it mailed.