The mission of Southeast Missouri Hospital College of Nursing and Health Sciences Medical Laboratory Science Program is to graduate students with entry-level employment skills to perform as medical laboratory scientists.
- To graduate well-rounded students with a basic knowledge of laboratory principles in safety, information systems, education and management, instrumentation evaluation and selection, and communication skills required to converse with coworkers and patients
- To graduate students with the cognitive knowledge to perform and interpret laboratory testing, and analyze and solve problems in all the competency areas of a laboratory generalist
- To graduate students with psychomotor skills to perform laboratory analyses, operate, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation in all competency areas of a laboratory generalist
- To graduate students with ethical practices which are committed to the highest standards of accuracy, quality, confidentiality, and care in the performance of laboratory analyses and are a credit to the profession of medical laboratory science
- To graduate students who are successful in passing a national certifying exam
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take a national certifying examination. The graduate may choose from several national examinations that credential Medical Laboratory Scientists.
The following eligibility requirements must be met before the Admission Committee will review the application file:
- Clearance on various background checks
- Completion of a bachelor degree or enrollment in a medical laboratory program at one of our affiliated schools
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale and a minimum science GPA of 2.50 in college-level courses
- Completion of 18 semester hours of biology including Microbiology, Immunology, and Human Physiology
- Completion of 18 semester hours of chemistry including Chemistry I, Chemistry II, and Organic Chemistry.
These are minimum admission criteria and do not guarantee admission to the program. Students are completely responsible for ensuring that they have met all criteria for admission. No applicant will be considered for admission until all eligibility criteria have been met and all eligibility paperwork is complete.
Student Achievement Data
College Student Achievement Data