Medical Technology Eligibility Requirements
The applicant must complete the prerequisite courses for the Medical Technology major from an affiliated college or university, OR, the applicant must have a Bachelor of Science degree with a minimum of 15 semester hours of biology and 15 semester hours of chemistry.
Required Biology courses include: Microbiology, Immunology and Human Physiology.
Required Chemistry include: Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Organic Chemistry.
A 2.5 overall GPA and a 2.5 science GPA are required for acceptance into the programs. Admission is on a rolling basis with the Admission Committee meeting monthly.
To complete the application process for the Medical Technology Certificate Program, the following must be submitted:
- Completed application with nonrefundable application fee,
- Official transcripts for all college courses previously taken,
- Record of immunizations,
- Completion of the form stating the individual meets the "Essential Functions" or "Functional Abilities" requirement for the Medical Technology Program,
- Criminal Background Check results returned from the state of residence,
- Clearance shown on the Division of Aging Disqualification List (EDL),
- Successful completion of the admission drug screening process,
- Score of 550 or greater on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if the applicant is an international student.
These are minimum admission criteria and do not guarantee admission to the program. Students are completely responsible for ensuring that they have met all criteria for admission. No applicant will be considered for admission until all admission criteria have been met and all admission paperwork is complete.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take a national certifying examination. The graduate may choose from several national examinations that credential Clinical Laboratory Scientists/Medical Technologists.
Southeast Hospital College of Nursing & Health Sciences is committed to equal opportunity and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, ethnic origin, marital status, sexual preference, creed, or disability in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs and other school-administered programs.
Click below to read PDF about
Technical and Essential Functions for Medical Technology Students